Skin Needling & Dermapen
Skin needling is available here at the practice of our plastic surgeon, Dr Craig Layt, and is a non-surgical skin rejuvenation treatment that helps restore collagen and elastin through a natural healing process. Ultra-fine, medical quality needles create multiple skin punctures that induce a wound healing response that stimulates new collagen and elastin production. New collagen and elastin improve skin quality and texture, making the skin feel firmer and smoother and help repair fine wrinkles and acne scars. Skin needling also helps repair stretch marks and surgical scars.
Skin Needling involves minimal downtime and is therefore the perfect alternative for those who don’t have time for more intensive laser treatments.
Any surgical or invasive procedure carries risks. Before proceeding, you should seek a second opinion from an appropriately qualified health practitioner.
How does Skin Needling work?
Each of the thousands of tiny puncture wounds induces the release of growth factors that begin the process of wound healing. These factors stimulate new collagen and elastin growth in the surrounding skin. New collagen and elastin production is the goal of all skin resurfacing and rejuvenation treatments.
New collagen production can continue for up to 12 months, resulting in an improvement in skin firmness and texture and a softening and lifting of scars and wrinkles.
- Vitamin A and C are essential for collagen production and sun damage reversal. It is impossible to achieve high concentrations of vitamin C in the skin by taking tablets orally. Therefore you will be recommended to use skin care products at home that contain high concentrations of these vitamins to enhance your results.
- Numbing cream and a cooler can be used to manage discomfort associated with deeper treatments.
- After the treatment, skin may appear red, swollen, moist and sensitive for various periods depending on the depth of your treatment. A light graze consisting of tiny crusted areas that feel rough and look tanned may occur. Skin may feel tight and dry. Varying amounts of flaking/peeling may occur as healing progresses. Laser balm is applied as healing occurs over 2-3 days depending upon the depth of the treatment.
- Pure Mineral Makeup can be worn after 2-3 days, however it is recommended to keep the skin moist to assist with healing. It is important to protect your new skin from the sun by applying a broad spectrum SPF 15+ sunscreen daily.
- Generally a minimum of 3-4 treatments are required to achieve improvements in skin firmness and texture. Improvement of scars may take 5 or more treatments.
- Results accrue gradually because collagen production takes time. Most clients notice an improvement in their skin tone and texture within 6-8 weeks of each treatment.
- Skin Needling is suitable for fine lines, dull skin, sun damaged and ageing skin, enlarged pores, acne scars, chicken pox scars and surgical scars (more than 6 months old), as well as for tightening and smoothing of skin on the face, hands, neck and chest. Skin needling can be performed on all skin types and colours and on all parts of the body.
- Skin needling is NOT suitable for those who have been on Roaccutane in the last 6 months, have active acne, open wounds, infections, psoriasis or dermatitis in the area to be treated, have uncontrolled diabetes, are pregnant or breast feeding, or who are prone to keloid scars or other abnormal wound healing.
- Smokers should be aware that smoking compromises the body’s ability to grow new collagen.
- As with any treatments that puncture the skin, infection, pigment changes and scarring are remote risks.
- Skin needling can be safely performed on all skin types (fair to darker skin), and it may be a safer treatment for sensitive thin skinned areas such as the neck and chest.
- Skin Needling is a cost effective and low downtime skin rejuvenation treatment option.
Full face – $350
Full face, neck & décolletage – $700
Décolletage – $300
Neck – $200
Cheeks – $250
Scaring & stretch marks – POA
To schedule a complimentary consultation please contact The Layt Clinic on (07) 55974100 and speak with one of our friendly staff.