Facelift vs. Dermal Fillers
Once you’ve noticed a facial cosmetic concern, it can be difficult to ignore. Whether it’s from the natural ageing process, sun exposure, or other factors, it’s very common to experience facial wrinkles, sagging skin, deep creases, and volume loss. Facing these occurrences head on with empowering aesthetic procedures can help diminish the effects. Below are two popular treatment options to explore for restoring a more youthful appearance:
Typically recommended for more significant ageing issues, a facelift is a surgical procedure designed to rejuvenate and lift the mid and lower areas of the face, including the cheeks, chin, jawline, and upper neck. This procedure can often effectively take off 10 to 15 years of an individual’s appearance. Candidates for a facelift usually are experiencing:
- Deep, more dynamic wrinkles
- Sagging skin below the chin or jawline (jowls)
- Creasing between the base of the nose and the corners of the mouth
- Loss of volume in the cheeks
- Depletion of skin elasticity and muscle tone in the face and neck
- Tired-looking facial appearance
For many patients, this procedure can be customised to address varying degrees of the above cosmetic concerns, from a mini-facelift to a Deep Plane Facelift. On average, recovery time after a facelift ranges from two to four weeks – but with proper self-care the results can last for many, many years. Patients may also choose to combine this surgery with other facial rejuvenation treatments such as eyelid surgery, a brow lift, laser skin resurfacing, and cosmetic injections.
Neuromodulators & Dermal Fillers
For treatments to replenish the earlier signs of ageing, cosmetic injections (such as wrinkle-reduction neuromodulators and dermal fillers) may be used in various facial areas. This non-surgical option can temporarily smooth lines and wrinkles that develop in a number of areas, and some injectables are also capable of enhancing volume and contour to specific facial features (such as the lips and cheeks). Individuals may be interested in these treatments if there are noticeable signs of ageing, such as:
- Fine lines around the eye area (“crow’s feet)
- Vertical lines between the eyebrows (“frown lines”)
- Horizontal forehead wrinkles
- Creases that extend from the sides of the nose to the corners of the mouth (“laugh lines”)
- Creases that extend from the corners of the mouth to the chin (“marionette lines”)
- Tiny wrinkles that occur between the nose and upper lip
- Loss of volume in the lips or cheeks
Cosmetic injections can usually be performed in less than one hour. Results can last anywhere from a few months to up to two years depending on the injectable utilised; however, occasional follow-up treatment sessions can help maintain the outcome for longer periods. There is typically little to no downtime necessary.
Alternative Facial Rejuvenation Options
Non-surgical skin tightening procedures are another option to consider that can provide a more youthful appearance with lasting benefits. These treatments can be highly effective at stimulating existing collagen and developing new collagen production, which helps to preserve skin firmness and elasticity. A few options include:
- Venus Legacy™ – Produces heat under the skin’s surface to improve the appearance of sagging skin and reduce fine lines and wrinkles in the face, neck, jowls, and décolletage. This radiofrequency technology typically requires no downtime and can be effective for virtually all skin tones.
- Ultraformer 3 – Can lift and tighten loose, sagging skin in the face and neck areas to treat fine lines, creases, wrinkles, submental fullness (double chin), and neck folds. The treatment uses ultrasound energy to give the skin a more youthful complexion and usually requires no downtime.
- Lutronic Genius® – Can reduce signs of aging and enhance skin elasticity by restoring volume to sagging skin tissues. The device uses radiofrequency microneedling to treat neck wrinkles, nasolabial folds, and fine lines with minimal downtime.
Please contact our experienced team at The Layt Clinic for your initial consultation. This evaluation will review your aesthetic concerns, goals, and overall health to determine the best customised treatment plan for you.